Thursday, April 06, 2006

Whatever happenned to a sense of humour?

As a resident of Bombay (yes, Bombay, you can call it Mumbai or whatever else you like, for me it stays Bombay) , I have been subjected to a lot of advertising and special offers in the last 12 months, especially since two new newspapers have been launched in that period. All for the good, espically since the ToI seems to stopped numbering its pages (..all the pages should have the number 3)

But reading DNA seems to make me feel that the term newspaper is a bit of a misnomer. Too many opinions and too little news. And what little there is, is distorted.

Lets take an example in todays paper (can't give you the page no or the article name cause I trashed the paper in the nearest bin after reading this article).

A lady expresses teh opinion that coffee shops in bombay are delibrately insulting women. Fair enough. Proof? Apparently a coffee shop in InOrbit Mall (Malad..no I don't stay that side) gave her a coffee, with a coaster or something similar..which had the following printed on it "Women should be obscene, not heard - Groucho Marx"

The writer is outraged at the shop for such indecent behaviour and proceeds to derive conclusions that are extreme, to say the least.

As I see it

1. Groucho Marx is the man who makes me laugh easiest.
2. ALL his comments were outrageous, and made as a joke....
3. Thank God this lady isnt in charge of anything that require logic, computers for example....i am pretty sure that if she reads this post she will willingly believe I am some kind of Nazi wife beater or worse.

Maybe I should start a newspaper for people with culture, intelligence and logic...people like Groucho !

Wait-a-minute , isn't a blog a start ?

:-)

4 comments:

Xena said...

Hey Attila...it certainly is an excellent start(I mean a blog). Hope you enjoy your journey as a blogger 'n get urself some fancy blog awards!!! Have fun pal!!:)

Anonymous said...

i am hooked

che sara sara said...

a good start

Attila said...

Well, I'm hoping to turn this into something better than just some space to rant...is it just me being cynical, or is it the world going bitter while we watch it go past?